Here you find information on:
Why Masters in Economics?
If you wonder why you should choose economics as a specialization in your post graduation, let us answer your doubts!
First and foremost your interest in the subject would guide through the career path you choose for yourself, so yes it has to be your interest that drives you to take up this prestigious subject. Here, let us clarify, student can be from any academic background (any field as graduation) who might develop an interest in the economic affairs and might want to pursue the subject as their post graduation.
Secondly, there is an immense scope of growth for a person who learns economics as a dedicated field in their masters. By scope we mean, as the coursework in MA Economics make a student analytically and logically, extremely strong as well as sharp, hence their demand in the industry becomes inevitable. An M.A economics fetches the best of jobs in the corporate world. From investment banking to marketing, from research to analytics and from real estate to media, there is no sector that can work without an economist at different verticals.
Thirdly, the opportunities that knock your doors as an academician are plenty. The master’s course is designed as such, that it introduces a student to various research fields within the scope of the subject. This opens up academic research avenues for students interested in taking up further education, Doctorates and Post doctoral. Academically oriented students get opportunities across the globe in the best of the universities to pursue their Phds after the completion of MA Economics from premier institutes in India.
Last but not the least, Masters in Economics is a gain of extensive knowledge with a worth return attached to it. Every post graduation programme is an investment, an investment on the course fee of MA economics ranges from Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 15,000. What is worth acknowledging is the fact that this meager investment fetches a return of as high as 10-15lack packages for starters which is at par with any IIM graduate.
Books to be read for preparing for M. A. Economics Entrance
Some of the basic books which everyone should read cover to cover are following:
- Microeconomic Theory :Hal Varian, Intermediate Microeconomics, 7e and Rubinfield and Pindyk, Microeconomics
- Macroeconomic Theory: Dornbusch and Fisher, Macroeconomics, 6e and Mankiw, Macroeconomics, 6e, Blanchard, Macroeconomics
- Mathematics : RGD Allen, Mathematical Analysis for Economics, AC Chiang, Fundamental Methods of Mathematical Economics, Sydsaeter and Hammond, Mathematics for Economic analysis
- Statistics: Nagar and Das, Basic Statistics, SC Gupta
- Econometrics: D. N. Gujrati, Basic Econometrics
From where can students do Masters in Economics?
In India following are some good institutions from where Student can do MA and MS course in Economics. You can also check about eligibility/pattern of an entrance exam/placement record in these institutes.
- Delhi School of Economics
- ISI, Kolkata
- ISI, Delhi
- Gokhle Institute of Economics and Political Science
- Madras School of Economics
- Jamia Milia Islamia
- Central University of Hyderabad
Mail us with following information at with the subject as ‘Subscription’
- Academic Background
- Contact Number
Get regular updates upon subscribing;
- Exam Dates
- Admission Notifications
- Entrance Exam Results
- Important Questions
- Offers from ECOPOINT
- Regular Articles
- ‘How I prepared for MA Economics Entrances!’ (This will be regular feature, where you would meet some successful candidates of past)